Future Restaurant & Venue
Former fellowship hall
will be home to an innovative concept bringing unique flavor to Waco's food & drink scene
At the intersection of
Baylor + downtown &
I-35 + Brazos River
A soulful space for
live performances, weddings,
community events & private gatherings
In 1874, St. James was founded as a Methodist Episcopal church on the banks of the Brazos River by pastor Anderson Brack, a former slave. St. James became one of the area's most prominent black churches, and the congregation spent a half-century in tabernacles and buildings in downtown Waco.
Through a controversial eminent domain claim, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad seized the church's land in 1922. The congregation moved a block away to the current location on the corner of 2nd Street and Clay Ave., where a new building was constructed under the leadership of Pastor C.S. Williams in 1924.
San Antonio architect Carleton Adams designed the Tudor Gothic-style structure. He also built the Hall of State at the State Fair of Texas, the Santa Gertrudis house at the King Ranch, the Student Union Building at Texas A&M, and Jefferson High School in San Antonio, among others. St. James received a Recorded Texas Historical Marker in 1986 and a City of Waco Historic Landmark desigination in 2017. Placement on the National Register of Historic Places is pending.
With a desire to focus more on ministry and less on maintenance, St. James Methodist placed their building on the market in 2015. Led by Pastor Sylvester Key, the congregation continues serving the community and worshiping together, as they faithfully have done for 145 years.
Walking into this place for the first time, we were compelled to be part of something bigger than ourselves.
We explored a number of adaptive reuse options with a goal of bringing people to enjoy this Waco landmark for generations to come. We believe that the history of the 145-year-old St. James Methodist Church congregation should be preserved along with the building. The sanctuary will be restored to the 1920s for use as a venue for live performances, ceremonies, private gatherings, downtown events and community gatherings. The old fellowship hall will become an original concept restaurant in partnership with K2 Restaurants.
2nd and Clay LLC is a husband-and-wife team who has loved living in Waco for 20 years.
We welcome your inquiries. Please use
this form or email us at 2ndandClay@gmail.com.
On the corner of 2nd and Clay between Baylor and downtown.
600 S 2nd St., Waco, TX 76706